Saturday, February 21, 2015

Intentions and expectations

A little over eight years ago I started writing my first novel Love You, Always.  I wrote two chapters and wrote a detail outline but stopped writing for three reasons.
            1) At that time in my life, I was so deep in depression that it would have been impossible to give my main character a happily ever after.
            2) Too personal to publically talk about.
            3) Staying true to characters and story meant writing things that I grew up believing were bad to read let alone write. 
           
            I was so worried about what others would think or their expectations of what a good Mormon girl should write that it literally stopped me from writing.
           
            During the six years between when I first started my manuscript to when I picked it back up and finished it, I had gone through major life changes. I separated from Love Machine (my husband) and had to rebuild my marriage from the ground up. I went back into the work force after being a stay at home mom for over a decade. We went through BIG financial challenges and ended up losing our home of twelve years and had to move into a rental half the size of what we lived in. And the biggie of all biggies, I let go of religion forever and I have never been happier. Don’t get me wrong, the challenges sucked. I mean REALLY sucked! BUT, during the three years that all of this was happening, I felt a transformation inside of me that changed my perspective on pretty much everything, including writing.

            I FINALLY let go of the expectations of others and started writing with intention. And these are my intentions:
            1) Write from the heart.
            2) Tell real stories no matter how offensive it might be to others…even if it includes sex and swearing.
            3) Stay true to characters and their stories.
            4) Write what I would want to read.

            Sex and swearing will be in my books. I’m not sorry about that. My stories might be fiction but they aren’t fantasy.  Sex and swearing happens. I’m well aware that this means that friends and family will not like or read what I write (including my mother ::waves at mom::) and I’m okay with that. 


5 comments:

  1. I think owning your shit- step 1 allows you to own your Truth-Step 1 and 2. I also think they are necessary in finding your peace, joy, and happiness. I love that you have done both. It's great to see your truth being sent out into the universe. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Cristin. I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you have found your happy place and can write. Keep it up girl!! We are all rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to get to the stage in my own writing where I can write consistently from the heart and tell stories that entertain and enlighten. I've always enjoyed listening to my own music, even if not many people give a damn about it. I love it. It's magic to me. I want to have that same pleasure with my writing. So proud of you and excited for your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bravery and authenticity are so inspiring. Thanks you!

    ReplyDelete