Friday, September 25, 2015

Instead of Friday Five...



My brother Curt passed away almost two months ago from suicide. The loss has been heartbreaking.  As teenagers, we teased each other relentlessly, and more than once I yelled "I hate you" which only made him laugh.  He was annoying and everything a younger brother was supposed to be.  It wasn't until I left for college that we finally became friends, and I could finally admit that I loved him.

After I married and started my family, he would occasionally drunk call me, always around 2 AM, to tell me he loved me. I grumbled and told him I loved him too but to stop calling so early...or late.  Eventually, he did stop calling.  What I wouldn't give for him to drunk call me now. I would tell him that I loved his guts and that every time I had said I hate you, I meant I love you.

On October 3rd, my sister and I will be doing the  Out of the Darkness Walk for Suicide Prevention.
It is my goal to raise $150. If you would like to support my goal, you can click on this link.  You will have my heartfelt thanks for any support even if it's a few kind words.


 This month our family received a letter from Donor Network West letting us know what happened with my brother's organs that he donated.  A six-year-old little boy received one of his kidney's a fifty-year-old man received a kidney and liver and a fifty-two-year-old husband, and father of four received his heart.  My heart is full of love for these people. As much as I would love to have my brother back, it gives me so much peace and comfort to know something good came from our loss.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry I can't donate but I wish you well. Glad to hear the organs went to so many people of varying ages. Good Luck on the run!! Think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally okay. Love you Grandma Z!

      Delete
  2. What a sweet post for your brother. They can irritate us more than anyone else because they know our secret buttons; but they love us like no one else as well (sometimes). I'm so sad about the loss of Curt. I didn't know him well, but all my memories are good ones. You and your siblings are sure honoring his memory in such creative and heart-felt ways. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ::sigh:: brother's... You are so right. Love you Cousin!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet post for your brother. They can irritate us more than anyone else because they know our secret buttons; but they love us like no one else as well (sometimes). I'm so sad about the loss of Curt. I didn't know him well, but all my memories are good ones. You and your siblings are sure honoring his memory in such creative and heart-felt ways. I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete